Author Interview By Rayven – The Paradox Series
1) When did you first realize you first wanted to be a writer? After I finished and published book 1 – Paradox – The Angels Are Here. What started of as therapy (the broken heart kind of therapy) has turned into a brand new career path. And I have loved every minute of it.
2) As the Author of the Paradox Trilogy, can you tell us what is difficult about writing a trilogy? Time, nothing more. I wish there were more hours in the day! I wish I had a full-time house cleaner, gardener and cook! The bathing and eating I am still happy to do myself 🙂
3) Where do you get information or ideas for your books? Imagination – definitely dreams. I have also been inspired by movies, TV series and other authors. My current hero in the writing realm is George R. R. Martin – The author of Game Of Thrones. I love his world building and huge cast of awesome characters. It is impossible to pick just one favorite character. I have four.
4) Social media has taken the internet by storm, and you do a fantastic job at utilizing all the web has to offer, what advise can you offer new authors on how to use the internet as a tool for promoting their work? Facebook, Goodreads and twitter is a must! Along with 20 hour days. There is as much time spent marketing – it not more – as there is writing. And a blog. Blogs are also very handy for communicating with the public that will hopefully become your readers.
5) What do you like to do when you are not writing? What? Okay seriously… Research. And the best research – homework – a writer can do to get better is to read, read, read. And read some more. If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have time to write… I think Stephen King said that somewhere – and he couldn’t be more right about that. And who am I to question one of the great writers of our time.
6) There are so many fantastic characters in our Paradox Series, do you have a favorite one and if so why? Oh, that is like asking a mother who her favorite child is… But they are not my children so no ones feelings are going to get hurt. I REALLY love the evil characters. Abaddon, Pandora, Theria, Lyssa and Caleb from the first 2 books. Book 3, Bound By Blood, introduces you to many more, like Weasel and Lord Grigori and his sons Grig and Orian. Book 3 also introduces you to the 3 Ancients – 3 wise men. I really like the part they will play… they are good guys though.
7) Can you share a bit about what you are working on currently? Bound By Blood – book 3. I have to have this one ready by October. I am also doing some rewrites on book 1 [The Angels Are Here] after a wonderful friend – Ella Medler – edited it for me. I can’t wait to republish that one this week with its brand new cover!
8) What do you think makes a good story? Different things appeal to different people. I personally like a story that holds back, makes you think. Makes you search for the answers and leaves you wanting more. I like it when I have read a book that leaves me hanging and thinking, noooo – crap, I have to have more right now…. Some people like to have all the answers tied up in a nice neat bundle when they finish a book – I’m not one of those people. I promise that none of my books will ever end like that! I enjoy leaving a reader hanging. Sorry.
9) How many books have you written, and which is your favorite? I’ve written two books in the Paradox Series and number 2 is my favorite… but not for much longer. Book 3 is going to even better still. And then there is book 4…
10) What is one of the most surprising things you have learned in creating your books? Like the universe – there is no end in sight anytime soon. Another would be how characters, even the ones you didn’t think would amount to much, just take over, to become GREAT characters. That really surprises me. It’s like watching a star being born. And you just think, wow, I never saw that coming.
Thank you for doing this interview with me, Rayven. Patti Roberts
Book Trailer: Paradox – Bound By Blood. Book 3 in the Paradox Series